Video Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan246

Baseband Member
I'm working on a Compaq Presario 6400NX my roomate recently obtained. When I power up the computer, nothing shows up on the monitor. I thought, maybe it was the monitor so I tried another one. Nothing showed up again. I can hear the hard drive start to spin and the fans turn on but thats about it. This computer has integrated video on the mobo so I thought maybe that was shot. I put in a video card I know works and that didn't help either. I couldn't find a jumper to reset the CMOS so I removed the battery and replaced it. Still nothing. Any advice on how I would go about pin pointing the exact problem or faulty hardware?

Your not getting anything no bios screen? If your getting a bios screen go into bios and disable the onboard video. But if your not getting anything its possable that the mobo is shot. You can check this and see if you can get any Idea's
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ang=en&product=240109&dlc=en&docname=bph05529

Also try to hit f8 while booting see if you can get into safe mode.
OR hit escape or Delete while booting to see if you can get into BIOS.

No signal is being sent to the monitor so I can't get into the BIOS. Well, maybe I can but I won't be able to see what I'm doing. I've pretty much established it must be the motherboard. Oh well. I'll just switch out the ram, cd drives, and hd to his older computer and call it good. Thanks for the reply.

Its the old nopost no beep problem,,,

Remove everything from the board. Ram, all hdd cables, video cards, and expansion cards. And resart and see if it will beep (speaker hooked up) No beep?? Mobo toast.

FlashDude said:
Its the old nopost no beep problem,,,

Remove everything from the board. Ram, all hdd cables, video cards, and expansion cards. And resart and see if it will beep (speaker hooked up) No beep?? Mobo toast.

Northbridge chipset is fubared....your mobo has become a frisbee.

Edit: one addtional thing....if you have a pci video card (I always keep one around for just this sort of problem) see if you get vido PCI. If yes...AGP is dead....if nothing still.....mobo is frisbee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom