Video Problem: Vertical Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcat

Baseband Member
Hello all, and thanks once again for being here.

My son's computer, a home-built job, is acting strangely. There is no video card installed at this point due to other issues which we were going to fix by replacing the card. Before we got around to that, we started experiencing colored vertical lines on the screen from the windows boot up screen forward. The lines stay in place once booted to windows but sometimes change colors. Makes it almost unusable.

Before I try a bunch of stuff, I thought I'd check with the good folks here for ideas. We're using an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo. Thanks for your help.

Hi, i had/have the EXACT same problem. I have a video card: ATI radeon 9800 pro, and i took it out and I am using onboard and their is now no lines.

I am being sent a replacement card. The problem is that the card has prabily overheated and is damage. Its summer time, and my card got really hot and is messed up now, and i DO NOT overclock either. I am hearing a lot of cases of cards dying right now, including mine.

SOLUTION: replace the video card.

Hey thanks for the response....our problem, though, started after we had already removed the card. So, my thinking is that is mobo related?

Are you seeing the vertical lines with the card in, do you still see vertical lines with the card out?

maybe try taking out and putting back in the card, something might be loose.

if it still persist, maybe the AGP slot on the mobo is messed up.

Good thought! We were having video card problems before so we took the card out. Turns out, though, that my son tried swapping in an older card and when it did not work out, left the card in the slot after uninstalling it. He's removing it now and we will see what transpires. Thanks much for your insight.

Ok, that was stupid. The ASUS board does not have on-board video so having no card won't work - doh!

Before we go off and replace everything, think I may get a cheapie card to test everything, then decide if we want to replace the mobo and get one of the new PCI Express cards. Might be work $40 or so to check it out, what do you think?

Thanks for the replies. The monitor's almost brand new, but I guess you're right about checking it out too, I shall do that momentarily. I've blown all the dust out of the slots and around fans and such with compressed air, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Update - monitor is fine when hooked up to another box. Must be the video card. Still think best bet is to snag a cheapie to test with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom