Video playback - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Video playback

Hi, my video card doesn't seem to play the movies as they should be, meaning that they are freezing on every second. I have the same situation on games. The movies from the games are running with pauses and keeps freezing for 1 or 2 seconds. This only happens on Vista. On Xp all is ok (except the fact that the games are not playing ..)
My video card is an Ati Sapphire Radeon 3650 (512 M) AGP, on a AMD Sempron 2400+ system, with 4 gigs of ram on an Asus a7v-600x Motherboard.
Any idea why this happens?

Thank you.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Video playback

Something could be disrupting reads from your DVD drive.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The sources are from my hard drive, so a problem with my DVD is off the list. Interesting thing is that in Windows Media player, the movie is running in slow motion when the buttons appear (in full screen) and also at the beginning of the movie. If i leave the player alone, the movie plays well. This happens to avi's in general (so might be a codec problem), but why the slow motion in the movies from the games too?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you may have to edit the game properties....

right click the shortcut for the game:
compatibility...put a check mark in the boxes that have "disable" in them
Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

you also may have a corrupt video codec on the system try to updating them to the current versions.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

None of the above worked
I'm begining to think that my new card is broken
One more q: are BIOS Settings important? I mean, for example Graphic Aperture size which is set to 64 now (before i set it to 256 but nothing changed)...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Have you installed the Vista Codec pack? Have you stopped all other apps from running to see if there is interference?
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, I had Vista Codec Pack and generally, I was running only one app. Now i've uninstalled the video codec so my vista is almost out of "foreign" applications. I have only Power DVD player and NFS ProStreet. The DVD's are running ok, except when I mouve the mouse, then it's starts to mouve in slow motion. The videos in the game (from the begining of the game for example), as I said before are still running in slow motion (the sound also).
Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well it's an obvious question but I didn't see it mentioned in any post above. You have the latest ATI drivers for Vista right?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Right. the latest drivers.
But anyway, half of the problem is solved. I posted a support ticket on Sapphire's site and i got a quickly reply, telling me that Vista should run fine and they gave me the link to their latest driver, which actually it was already on installed. Still, i've uninstalled everything, and installed again. The problem was still there. I posted a reply, and after that, they told me that actually, on my system Vista is not that good and to try it on XP. This time, they gave me more details. They told me to instal Via 4in1 and after that to install their driver. I did that and.......voila. XP is fine, the games are fine and I'm happy. Now i just have to see if I can find a compatible Via 4in1 for Vista and maybe that will do the trick for Vista too

Thank you all for your reply's.

Closed Thread