Video not working - Hardware issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Video not working - Hardware issue

Hey guys.

So my friend went away for a week and accidentally left his computer running and there was a power outage when he was gone which we think might have fried some part of his computer, but I'm not really sure if that is the problem.

Everything on his system seems to be working, the motherboard LED is lighting up and all components are getting power, but for some reason the monitor won't turn on. I've tried swapping out the video card for another one and even dropping back to a PCI video card incase his AGP slot got fried, but no matter what I do, the monitor won't turn on. I've also tried 3 different monitors so I know that's not the problem either. Was thinking maybe replacing the motherboard battery might help, but I doubt it.

Anyone here experience anything like this before or have any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?

Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K
Default Re: Video not working - Hardware issue

The problem your friend has is called " No POST " its when the monitor stays on standby and doesnt do anything , while the computer is running (usually running)

read this
POST troubleshooting steps.

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 07-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well thank you for the idea, but that didn't help at all because the computer isn't beeping or anything, in fact I think it would boot all the way to windows if it didn't need a re-install, its just not displaying anything on the monitor.

I had a friend suggest trying to reset the mobo with the reset jumper so I'll try that.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?

Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

well sounds like you were to lazy to read it carefully because it explains everything you should do if it doesnt POST.

Try testing the RAM on a different computer and run Microsoft Memory Diagnostic program on a floppy on boot and let it run for about 4 hours minimum.

i was also thinking about the Power Supply since that might of caused the issue , try the PSU in a different computer as well and see if the computer boots

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yeah, I admit I didn't read everything, I just skimmed through cause I didn't have a lot of time. I'll be sure to read through it more carefully when I get a chance. I'm pretty sure its not the power supply since its brand new (about a month old), but I could try swapping it out for another one just in case.

Thanks again for the advice!
Closed Thread