Video Mode Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

furyhawk1224

Solid State Member
I'm not sure if this is hardware related, but its possible.
When i started my computer this morning, i got past the windows Xp professional boot screen then was met with an error that said "cannot display video mode" The error stayed on the screen for 15 minutes, then i pulled the power cord and tried again. This happens every time i start up my computer and get past the boot screen. Finally, i got tired and pulled out my linux LiveCD and came here. Here is my system.
Dell Dimension 3000
3GHZ P4 w/ HT
512 mb RAM
Windows XP Pro
ATI Radeon 9250- 256 PCI edition
Integrated Dell Extreme Graphics 2- backup card

I know i need to get some more ram, but don't tell me that

That didn't work, as the real player solution assumed that i am able to actually see the interface initially, but this is not true, as it shows this error as soon as i get past the boot screen. Also, the dell solution didn't work either, for reasons i just can't fathom, but i'm getting used to knoppix.

load windows in safe mode (press F8 just before windows starts and select "safe mode") , uninstall the video card driver and restart then reinstall it and if the monitor is identified as "plug and play monitor" then install its driver (this will prevent you from using resolutions/refresh rates that arent supported)

i can't do that, as when I start windows in safe mode, the same error appears, so i can't uninstall/reinstall drivers. However, i am using Knoppix, so if you know a fix that can be used from knoppix, tell me. But its LiveCD, so i can't use other cds. My plan is just to erase the entire partition and start over. I'm getting a new computer anyway, but my sister wants mine, so i have to fix it, and why not just get a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom