video glitching

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
Started out as a completely different issue, I updated Windows 7 and upon reboot after the update, my BIOS kept stalling at locating drives. Since I couldn't even get into the BIOS, I decided it was time for a complete physical teardown and reinstall.

After imaculate cleaning and tossing the harrddrives, optical drive, memory and video card back in, I attemped to boot to the DVD drive with an O/S disc in the tray.

Good luck was had when the computer was able to boot from the disc, but bad news upon finding all these randomly changing lines across the screen. I can't believe just because I reseated the video card that I broke it, there is hopefully another explanation, but the only thing I can think to do is try another video card, but I have no spare PCI-E cards lying around.

So right now I'm stuck at right after boot, enter windows 7 setup and eventually I get a BSOD before I can even start the new install, still having the lines appear every time. The BSOD is so fast I cannot see what it says, and since I cannot fully boot, I cannot check the logs or event viewer. There is no card I can swap, and there is no onboard video to change to either.

Are there some troubleshooting steps I can do but missed? I think there are a few possibilities, electronic interference from somewhere, motherboard's PCI-E slot/controller, or the video card itself.

The majority of my parts are less than two years old, the build currently consists of:
Gigabyte mobo in my sig
Xenon processor in my sig
Western Digital 640 and 320gig drives both sata
Sata DVD burner
Thermaltake modular PSU
One G.Skil 2gig stick of DDR2
MSI 8600GT factory overclocked videocard

As contrary to my sig, everything is now at stock clock speed, although the voltage for the memory is upped a little due to a known conflict between G.Skil and Gigabyte, I've never had an issue with the memory for as long as it's been installed.

It's obvious in this pic, the screen is supposed to be all black besides the text and loading bar at the bottom, but lines and blocks are scattered throughout the screen.
img0806l.jpg

Not so obvious in this pic, the lines were flashing so fast they are hard to catch on camera, but I wanted to show what it looks like with an actual picture on the screen.
img0808mf.jpg

Can you get into safe mode? If so look at Device Manager and see what driver version is loading up for your video card. Windows may have downloaded and installed the new 196.21 driver for you. The whole 190 series of drivers have been a disaster as far as I'm concerned. Try the 186.18 drivers if possible.

Win7 32-bit NVIDIA DRIVERS 186.18 WHQL
Win7 64-bit NVIDIA DRIVERS 186.18 WHQL

can't get to safe mode, it's new install or nothing. thing is that i am using the same windows 7 install disc as i have in the past in the exact config and it's worked perfect those times, so it's likely not a driver conflict.

Is the card still in warranty? If it is you should contact them about a possible replacement. Or you can try the advice below, but some companies don't like you taking things apart.

Take the card out and clean it. If you have some thermal paste remove the gpu heatsink, clean it with alcohol, reapply new thermal paste and replace the heatsink. Before you reinstall the card check the pci-e slot for dust or any type of foreign objects. If needed blow out the slot with air. Reinstall the card, make sure it's fully seated and not in any type of a bind. Plug in any needed power connectors and give it a try.

It's too old to still be in warranty, I dug out a spare mobo that has a PCI-E and it wouldn't boot at all with the video card installed. So right now i'm using the old mobo because of it's onboard video. So now it's down to asking everyone for suggestions on what card to replace a 8600GT for roughly 50 bucks, can it be done? I'm not up to times with video cards, for instance I don't know the 2XX series equivalant of a 9XXX series Nvidia card. I just want to play WoW and a few of the newest Need For Speed games with 1080 wide res. But my money is limited.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Sorry for digging up an old post, but I have one question and also found the cause of the issue. The issue was caused by a capacitor that was busted one on of it's terminals, wasn't noticable at first but I just happened to have it out laying around today so I took a real close look. My soldering irons are packed away, so I took a piece of electrical tape to hold the capacitor to the contact on the video card.

But here's my question, I ordered a Radeon HD 4650 512MB and wondered if anyone here had any thoughts, like if I should go ahead and replace the 8600GT 256 with it. From what I've read, it's better than the 9500GT but under the 9600GT, but I'm thinking with the extra memory that it'll be comparable to my 8600GT it's replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom