video fading to black then white. PC freezes.

randomnoob

Beta member
A few weeks ago I lost my CPU fan. I replaced it and got the machine back up and running. A few days later, I started losing video and having the thing lock up. I pulled the video card and switched back to integrated vid on the mobo. Everything was fine until tonight when the screen started going white then black (or vice versa). I pulled the new fan and re applied the thermal paste and got it going again, for now. I'm not sure if that was the problem or just a coincidence.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but right before the video went, I started having issues with an HP wireless keyboard and it also died completely tonight. The mouse uses the same receiver and never had an issue. The keyboard was new a month or 2 before I started having issues. I've never had an issue with any other USB device.

Any help for when the issue comes back? Trying to limp this thing along until I can start a new build.

Last edited:
Issue came back tonight while running a virus scan. Computer shut itself down and the video wouldn't come back when I rebooted. I decided to try a different approach and found a different cable for the monitor which didn't help at all. I stole my roommate's monitor and switched them out with the computer on. As soon as his powered up, video was fine. Think I've been looking in the wrong spot and the monitor is dying, not any hardware in the tower. I'm going to re install the video card I thought was bad and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom