video drivers problem...possibly card itself? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default video drivers problem...possibly card itself?

Well the other day my PC just started restarting itself...So i went through the steps of Warez_Monster's spyware removal, and ended up being that my video card was "not functioning properly" so i downloaded the updated driver from nvidia (i have an nvidia mx420) and it didnt help, actually I think it got worse...

So as a last resort I attempted a "repair" install of windows, but all it would do is freeze at 24 minutes remaining, and ask for the driver CD for my video card (which i do not have because I own a Dell...ugh) And I tried using the "driver resource" CD but it cant be accessed unless I decompress the files in windows, so that didnt work.

Needless to say I went and did a fresh install of XP over my original because it's the only way that It would work...Now...I'm afraid to update video drivers...Any suggestions?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste

Don't buy a dell would be the main suggestion. :P

Um no, you could use Driver cleaner pro and reinstall (The Driver) if it happens again.
Other then that get a new card.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

We have had some issues at my work with updated video drivers causing problems. If you can find an older driver somewhere, use it.
Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Closed Thread