Video card will not line up with the slot o.O - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Video card will not line up with the slot o.O

Well, it's the same as DDR, DDR2, DDR3, the slots look the same, but have the notch in different places.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Having just read up on it... seems PCI-Express is the new thing.. So i'm not in as bad of a hole as I thought. At least there are viable upgrade options, which wouldn't have been so plentiful had it just had PCI slots.
Thanks for the link to the cards - guess i'll have to shop around.
Kinda annoying I can't use my old cards though - as they were all I needed at this moment in time.

You guys are so helpful and fast!! So glad I found this site!

Thanks to you all!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Now give us more questions!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

AGP is no where near the same slot type, highly different compared to PCIe.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok then - What wattage power supply's do newer graphics cards generally need to run effectively? Pretty sure the one on this Gateway sucks.
What is the difference between most of the new cards - On newegg, I see some 1GB's for $200, and other for $60! Are you paying for quality or 'features' such as hdmi, which is not needed in my case?

And what is the point of upgrading a sound card? Or are sound cards just incase your onboard sound fails? o.O

Oh, and why is there such a price difference between the different types of memory?! They're the same thing, just compatible with different motherboards

I'm sure I could google most of these for effective answers, but you did ask! Wahahaha!

I'll be sure to be back here with all my computer problems in the future! Thanks for everyones help!

If I hadn't come here, i'd still be trying to push the square blocks into the circular holes with that card -.-

EDIT: Just so you know, these questions are not 'IMPORTANT' lol, I was just coming up with anything for you to answer
Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Power supplies above 450w are ok for nearly all gfx cards, the higher end ranges require 550w-650w though (with mutli-gfx card setups requiring even more).

You'd upgrade your sound card if you're outputting to a quality amp/speaker set. The average home user should not bother because they'll likely not even notice a difference. Only other reason is if your motherboard comes with only 2.0 onboard sound and you've got a 7.1 speaker setup.

Different memory runs at different speeds, and also have different instruction delays, which effects how fast they can process whatever is being sent to it. The higher the clock frequency the memory runs at, the better. Conversely, the *lower* the delay timings the better.

The memory on your gfx card doesn't determine its performance, that just determines how much it can work with at a time.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Haha, ^ Thanks Soul!

So cost = The things it can do? such as shading, anti-aliasing, etc etc?

I'm into computer graphic design, usually play 'old' games, but do frequent Second Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the graphics options given in that can be demanding (Particles, draw distance, mirroring, shading, alpha, mesh, etc) And need to run at maximum quality with less 'lag'

Guessing the $60 cards won't be sufficient. XD

Btw, yay, I discovered the rep button for all you guys that helped.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lord Techie

A mid-range card thats $50-$80 should run your older games just fine. I use an ATI Radeon HD 3850 with 512mb of RAM, IMO, it plays most games smoothly, it would be great for older games.

Closed Thread