Video card will not line up with the slot o.O - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Video card will not line up with the slot o.O

I bought a new cookie cutter Pc, with plans to upgrade, and first on my list was the onboard graphics..as they suck.
Anyways, I open it up, and attempt to slot the card in, as I have in numerous Pc's before, and to my surprise, the card will not fit. It's not a case of jiggling it, it's way too far off to do that. (It's a case of the card being longer than the slot. When flush with the openings on the back, the card is back about 4mm from the slots)

I've never heard of this problem before- and was thinking maybe the computer maker (Gateway) screwed the motherboard in wrong? But what is weird, and nullifies that idea, is that the rest of the slots & stuff line up.
I have tried multiple cards and all have the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas? :s

Here are some pics...

This is the slot in question.

This shows how far the card is from lining up

This shows the card flush with the back f the pc - so it cannot go frward any further.

And this shows the other parts & ports line up

Thanks in advance to anyone who can.
If more information is required, please say so

Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Video card will not line up with the slot o.O

What card are you using? You might be trying to put a PCI_E card in an AGP slot, or vice versa.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

We need the card specs (make/model) and the pc specs (the more the better, if it's a gateway prebuilt then the model number would be optimal). It could be a case that the card interface and motherboard interface are different, in which case you might be SoL, or if you're in luck the motherboard is just too far over and you can't get the card properly into the slot, in which case you'll just have to unscrew the motherboard and move it away from the expansion card slots, or so some jank modding to the expansion card slots themselves.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

[TABLE="class: wikitable, width: 145"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

ATI All in wonder X800 PCI, AGP
^ Taken off the wiki. That is the current card I am trying to add.
I am sure it is the right slot, it just won't fit :s as shown in the pic, it's about 3-4mm off.

ATI's All-in-Wonder X800 XT graphics card - The Tech Report - Page 1 This exact card.

I won't be upgrading higher until I have bought a power supply to support a 1GB+ card. But at this rate, I wonèt be upgrading at all!

EDIT to add: GATEWAY DX4840-11E core i3-550 is the exct model - prebuilt. I was thinking about unscrewing and moving, but then the other components won't line up :s
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

We can't see anything but PCI-E, AGP.

What is your computer model?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry post came out wrong, so edited it.
GATEWAY DX4840-11E core i3-550 is the exct model - prebuilt
ATI All in wonder X800 PCI, AGP is the card
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

it looks like it's an AGP card so it won't fit in any of the slots you've got on that board.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, your board doesn't have any AGP slots. Not compatible.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wow...is this a thing in newer computers? I'm used to dealing with older comps - 5-10 years old.
The slots look exactly the same as those in the older compaq I took the card from, just closer to the case, which is where I am getting the problem.

I also have PCIE/AGP GRAPHIC CARDS: ASUS V9520/TD/256MB AGP GRAPHIC CARD which also will not fit in.

Looks like I may have to buy a new card... Any cards you can suggest? with similar quality whilst being affordable? Ugh this is a minor setback... Thanks for your replies though!!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Any PCI-E graphics card would fit, AGP was phased out quiet some time ago by PCIe.

Anything from THIS link, should work fine. Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Video Cards & Video Devices, Desktop Graphics / Video Cards, PCI Express 2.0 x16

Closed Thread