Video Card Testing software -- Yes this problem is still haunting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Video Card Testing software

Got every thing installed again. However my monitor at work will not go the same resolution. Most it will do is 1280 x 1024. I normally operate at 1900 x 1200.

This experience as also given me a chance to improve on the cable management in my box. And in the process I have discovered a few places for further improvement.

I still hate cable management. as much as it make my PC look neat. I add more work when something stuff up.

Currently running furmark. What temperatures should i be keeping this GPU at. It's a ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB

This would of been a little quicker to complete today. However some idiot desided to get involved in some drunk violence last night and too the liberty of smashing to of my work's front windows.

I guess at this stage, I can do nothing more expect take the PC home and run a few games on it.

However this dust issue is currently rather valid. I just find it's funny considering that my last 2 apparments where far more dustier and yet I would only clean up out the GPU every 6 months or so. I have only really had this new rig for 3 months.

Anyways, before i go home, i will make sure i take with me a spare Video Card and Power Supply. I would like to finalise this issue some time in the next 24 hours just incase I do have to take back some thing for RMA. Especially if it's a motherboard

[EDIT]Okay. Looks like I still have a problem. In the time it took me to post this message, I left FurMark running. Last time I was looking at the test, the temp was at 80c for the GPU.
I have just returned to the computer and it currently off. I am currently now hoping that i have not blown up some thing[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]Okay, that's a releaf. KillKitty is booting up again. I don't think the problem is with the CPU temps as it's sitting nicely at 40c. Typically the expected 20c more that room temp. I might run FurMark one more time and see where it fails at. [/EDIT2]

80c is pretty warm, but the card shouldn't shut down at that temp. Is there any other motherboard you can test it on? If you are using your old psu that you know worked before, that kinda takes a psu problem out of the picture. If you can test it on a different motherboard that's about the only place you can go from here I think.

80c is pretty warm, but the card shouldn't shut down at that temp. Is there any other motherboard you can test it on? If you are using your old psu that you know worked before, that kinda takes a psu problem out of the picture. If you can test it on a different motherboard that's about the only place you can go from here I think.

I have not changed the PSU yet. I was about to, but I desided to clean my GPU instead.
I was able to play CO for a little bit. However for my to really accurately test this, i need to take the computer home and work in the same operating environments.

While I am at it, I am going to take works test bed home with me so I can test to see if is the video card. And i will bring home a spare video card.

I have not swapted out the PSU yet. However i have been able to play Chronicles Of Riddick : Dark Athenia on high custom setting (1900x1200 res with AA) with out any problems. Previously, I was not even able to get the game to load on those settings with out it crashing.

Just a note, Furmark forces your GPU to pull the most power it can, it isn't really meant for benching, but more for burning the GPU in, and seeing what it can handle. I ran it on my 3850 with a stock cooler, hit 135C very quickly, but, it still worked just fine, the xtremeburn mode, just has the card pull more power, and pump out more heat, it's to test for stability, but I wanna side on the PSU being the failure point, because an earlier post said the PC had shut down when you attempted the xtreme mode.

For most of today, the computer was behaving. However just as I was leaving Champions Online, I got another BSOD page error.

I am changing the PSU tomorrow some time.

Installed the cooler master 750 PSU. Cable management going ot be extremely hard as the cables on this PSU are not as flexible.

Just managed to play a few hours of Champions Online. Might give Riddick a go next.

If all goes well with Riddick then it's safe to say it was a PSU related issue then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom