Video card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

faek

Baseband Member
Hey, so I've noticed some issues with my video card lately [EVGA GeForce 7600 GT.] In playing games, such as Morrowind, the video will be choppy all the time. It wasn't the worst I've ever used, so I just lived with it seeing as my work doesn't leave me much free time right now.

Well I went to bed the other night with my computer on, nothing unusual for me [and yes, I do give it it's rest at times]. When I woke up I noticed a fan, sounded like my GPU's, was spinning pretty fast, like a game was going. I check the computer and nothing responds. Humm. Great. Not being positive what was the problem, I tried the reset button first but it didn't work. Then turned the power off and waited a min. Turned on, got the beep code of one long and 3 short. From what i've found, the problem pointed to my graphics card. Got the beep code a second time after restarting... it booted fine after a 5 min wait.

So basically somethings going on with it. Another example of it's problem is even if I preview windows screensavers, like the 3D flower box for example, it just moves all choppy like its stuttering. ouch

I haven't tried tackling the problem yet only because I have a major annual report that needs to be finished by next friday... I don't want to inadvertently make things worse and screw myself from finishing this work. So any clues or suggestions on what's happening? I was first going to try reinstalling the driver, then looking in BIOS to see if anything looks off. Also, my card runs around 75-78 Celcius :\

Thanks for the help!

System specs:
Processor - AMD 64, 4200 X2
RAM - 2 gb ram, Corsair
Motherboard - ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Harddrive - 320 GB Seagate
Video Card - EVGA GeForce 7600 GT
PSU - antec 550W

I'm fairly certain that your motherboard uses AMI BIOs. That would mean that 1 long and 3 short POST beeps is a problem with RAM.

1 long, 3 short: Conventional/Extended memory failure
Conventional/Extended memory failure means that the system is reporting an error with the DRAM sticks that you have installed in your system. The most likely problem is either fault RAM, or improperly seated RAM (try reseating the RAM or moving it around to different slots).
Hardware Knowledgebase - AMI BIOS Beep Codes - HardwareFAQs: powered by neofaq

It says 8 Mb Award bios:

1 long, 3short: No video card or bad video RAM. Reseat or replace the video card.

Ok,

so i've thoroughly dusted the card

reinstalled the drivers/hardware

cleaned up the whole area [wires.. never really bad in the first place]

and this card is still running around 75 Celcius constantly, no matter what. it even stays around this temp after running oblivion for a while. I really don't know what to do anymore. is there anything else i can try? i don't know what's left to do.... new card? ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom