Video Card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

themattgod

Beta member
Hi guys i'm new to this forum so bear with me please. I seem to be having an issue with my video card and would like to know if anyone can help me. When I am playing a game whether it be online or offline I get this strange tearing sound from my speakers and then everything on the screen dramatically slows down and stutters. It will last for about a minute maybe more and is now a pretty common occurance. I havn't had this problem in the past. Please help me.

This is my system.

Alienware area 51 m7700

2 gigs ram

Nvidia 6800 256 mb card

3.2 processor.

P.S. I have even tried turning the graphics on the games down but I meet the recommended requirements and then some.

when it stutters does it freeze or go back to the original state? i had the exact same problem (mine froze after and i had to quit the prog) and all i did was switch video cards and it was fine.

it also could be a heat problem download pcwizard from cpuid.com or a program that tells you the temp of ur card. play a game that freezes for maybe 10 mins (or before it freezes) and post ur temp

thanks for your suggestion, i'll try out that program. It does stutter but it doesn't freeze it eventually goes back to it's normal state.

I don't have any programs running in the background. I downloaded that pcwizard program and when the problem occurs I press ctrl alt delete to see it and it says cpu usage 90-100%. I have no idea what is taking up that much of my computer and the task manager doesn't help much. If I have to change my video card, which I shouldn't, does anyone know where I can buy a new card for this computer, it's a notebook.

ok whats the temp of the video card. just click on the vga icon and it should tell u at the bottom of the main stats. also what game r u running?

it tells me the processor temp which is 69 degrees but it's gone up to 73 while playing the game. I am running battlefield 2142, and dark messiah, but I definately meet all of the requirements for it and beyond. Also it happens when I play guild wars which is not a demanding game. Could it have to do with the fact that I have 2 hard drives in my laptop. I installed the second one from an older dell laptop, could that be sucking the ram?

no that shouldnt do anything. i this "processor" temp ur talking about the cpu or gpu? gpu that seems a little high but ok. cpu thats just insane and you need to get a new cooling system for it right away.

your specs r fine it has nothing to do with that. if its doing it in all those games. then its either your card or ur temps.

anyways im going to bed tty again in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom