Video Card Problem...or is it? Need Help... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Video Card Problem...or is it? Need Help...

My computer has been acting dumb lately... first, it has a hard time of booting up. It takes me about 4 to 5 restarts for it to go to windows. It has a checksum error(I think I have to replace the battery of the motherboard cause my computer is about 3 years old), and when it does log in to windows, everything runs smoothly. Except that when I run my warcraft game, it runs for about a minute or so, hangs, and then suddenly my computer restarts. This is the same true with windows media player, when I play an mp4 video, it hangs while running, and restarts my computer(although this rarely occurs. Somethimes, this doesn't happen at all). Could it be my video card, or the battery, or something else. Comments Pls. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Video Card Problem...or is it? Need Help...

It could be overheating ( did you check the temps?) You may also have a power problem.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Video Card Problem...or is it? Need Help...

Weak battery dont effect stat ups, only date and in case you have custom BIOS setting, then it retains them.

VGA card getting HOT, makes the image jaggy and strange, dont have ability to restart the system. yes, the CPU is with thermal DIODE and can restart machine, when getting hot.

try running your system, without hard drive, if it restarts, then CPU over heat as if it doesn't. re-install windows. as before Boot up, CPU and VGA runs at full speed because drivers aren't loaded. so, it will heat up and shutdowns (proving CPU problem)
Intel Core2Quad 2.66Ghz 12MB L2-Cache
4096MB DDR Kingston Hyper-X
GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Closed Thread