video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

monomanz

Beta member
Yesterday i purchased an ati radeon 9550 to replace my geforce 4 mx440
what happened was as follows... (i am currently on my laptop)
i was reading through the manual to install the new card and it said that i should update my AGP controller and i had no clue what it was so i kept reading and the manual said i should goto device manger and to look for something that read agp controller and i found it before the "agp controller" part read intel82845g which i googled and first thing that turned up was the intel support site so further reading told me i should intall the latest agp drivers so i followed some links on the intel support site and i ended up at the driver downloads for the 82845g there was 2 both dated the same the details were practically the same only difference i noticed was one was a .zip and the other was .exe so i decided to go for .exe since its less of a hassle so i download the driver and run the install the wizard it loaded up and i recieve an error message saying my system did not meet the minimum requirements which i found odd so i decided there wasnt going to be any driver updating considering the intel site gave me no other choices so i continued reading next up was uninstalling the old graphics driver so i went to add/remove programs and did so i was told i should restart the computer so i did on restart the computer restarted but did not boot no beeps or anything and a completely blank screen the monitor's led did not go from orange to green and so i decided to shut it off through the power button since nothing was happening i tried the restart once more still nothing so i decided i should just install the card i opened the computer up removed the old card and put the new one perfectly in no problems i did not have to disconnect anything that was plugged in just replace the video card so then i closed it back up and plugged the computer in i turned it on and same as before no beeps nothing so i tried replacing the card with the old one no difference ive looked up several possible problems/solutions but all involve me being able to at least see something so im asking people who know what i should do before taking the computer in somewhere to try to get the problem straightned out
ill pretty much try anything right about now to at least get it to start up

some specifications off the top of my head are
hp 854n media center
2x 512 ddr 2100 ram
windows xp prof
sp2
intel pentium4
old video card: geforce4 mx 440
attempted replacement: radeon 9550
those are all that i remember if it helps to know them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom