video card messed up cuz of virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynical897

Solid State Member
hi, a week ago or so my computer got infected with something that did alot of damage.. i had to restore with the factory shiped settings...i think i had a virus or something that messed up my video card? is that possible? i was just playing a game and i was getting all these pop ups and stuff, i wasnt even in a browser... so i turned of the pc to see if a reboot would help... i restarted it, when windows xp started to load my monitor was flickering at me, and then it looked like these little text was like stuck in the monitor... i thought the virus had messed up my monitor, but i tried another monitor and it still did it. so i swapped video cards with another pc to see what was up, and now the text was gone, so i did a system restore... and here i am, do any of you know what is going on?

Its possible the Virus messed with the video Drivers, but I doubt it could do damage to the card itself. What broswer do you use? Got a firewall? Got an AntiVirus program such as norton, AVG or Avast?

well the card is nvidia geforce 4 ti 4600 128MB

i use firefox mostly, ie sometimes...

i dont have antivirus, just spybot/ad-aware checks every once in a while

i had nortan antivirus, but it slowed things so much, and i would always loose access to internet stuff i needed...

what do you reccomend i do with the video card that got messed with?

Take off all the drivers. Restart the computer, and cancel all the "found new hardware" prompts. Reinstall the newest drivers, as well as AVG antivirus (don't worry, it doesn't have a big footprint). Then restart the computer. And never use NAV.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom