video card install issue please help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

darksideflux

Beta member
I have a computer that i am installing a video card in. Currently the card running is the onboard. After disabling the onboard through device manager. I installed teh video card into the first PCI slot. (I did try in all the PCI slots) after turning it back on it will only load a black screen from the PCI card. However the onbard still boots. (Black screen will not show anything not even post on the PCI card) I installed the drivers and disabled the onboard. There are video card settings in the BIOs but it only has the option to auto or onboard as a option for settings. Trying both BIOs settings after the driver installed i still get a black screen. The computer is booting but after putting in the PCI card the system seems to not boot fully from what the computer sounds like. I believe this to be a power issue. So i am posting here in order to get a better assessment of the issue before i purchase the new power supply.

PS. while BIOS is set to auto neither will boot

PC SPECS:

PC

Chipset - Intel 845GV

Processor - Pentium 4

RAM - Max 2Gb - DDR SDRAM - PC2700 - DIMM 184-pin

VGA - Intel Extreme 3D Graphics Onboard (UMA) 64 VRAM

Audio - AC '97

Power - 200w

video card to be installed
128 MB ATI Radeon 9250 PCI Video Graphics Card

the system seems to not boot fully from what the computer sounds like.
That alone leads me to believe that your power supply doesn't have the juice to run it.
On the Diamond Multimedia website they suggest a 230w PSU. Though they usually pad the number a little, I think this might be spot-on or an underestimate.

I'm not to sure what the problem is but this is something that you can try if you want. Unplug all your hard drives, dvd/cd drives, fans(except for cpu fan) and try to boot at least to the post screen. I'm trying to free up as much power as you can just to see if you can at least get an image on screen.

it is booting fine as i stated. Hoewever i wanted to know if the computer has a low power supply that needs to be upgraded. it all works. simple question

I will Try it but i do beleive it is simply the power supply not having the watts to power the new card. I just dont want to get a power supply and waste not only my time but the customers as well.

BTW MoM nice computer. I used to run a AMD phenom 2.4 quad, 4GB DDR3 RAM, and the 5770 HD. I love that card. the streaming processes mixed with the nice clock speed made it a card i will get and reuse till the bar is lifted and the price is to. 150$ and u get the 5770. amazing deal!

The suggestion that brinks gave will help you determine if it is in fact a lack of power.
By unplugging the hard drives and other unneeded accessories, the computer may be able to boot up with the PCI card, because the HD and accessories won't be using up your limited power output, and at least get you to post.

This will at least give you a large hint to whether or not it requires more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom