Video Card, High pitched noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmgdx

Baseband Member
Two days ago I noticed a weird squeal my computer was making when loading up world of warcraft, I noticed that if I would click the desktop and make the window inactive it would stop. First I figured it was dust in the card so I completely disassembled my pc and cleaned everything. Booted it back and it found it was still making the noise. So I did some searching on the net could not find anything, I did some tweaking of settings and junk. I noticed that if I turned v-sync on in wow it would stop the squeal. This was odd to me because I thought all v-sync did was limit the frame rate, so I loaded up css and unlocked the fps and the squeal kicked in. So it seems the squeal is based on a high fps for some reason.

I downloaded atitool to test for artifacts and when the cube is spinning, the volume of the squeal actually changes with the spin.

Any ideas? Should I RMA?

Thanks for any help.

Gigabyte 5850
No overclock.

RMA it. If it doesn't stop squealing after cleaning nothing else can be done and it is a physical issue. Maybe the fan clipping the GPU or the casing of the fan, either way you can't fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom