video card help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default video card help

HP Pavilion p6310f Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion p6310f Desktop PC | HP Support
^^my computer

plus i added a 7950
700w psu and new tower
on all win7 64bit and all hardware has latest drivers

so i dont think my video card is installed properly
why i think that?
cpuz
windows system specs
and 3dmark

all show video card ram as 1mb yes...thats correct 1mb and cpuz even goes as far as to say its a negative number(my video card has 3gb)

now my mobo has a onboard chipset.but there is no real way to disable it as far as i can tell.you just go under bios set primary video device to XX and thats really all my options

..now here is where things get wierd.when i try to run it under(still talking bios primary video device) to pcie and boot it doesnt work.screen looks like its fighting itself(progressivly gets worse than crashes).which leads me to think that the onboard isnt disabled just judging off of what i experience and others on the internet

.so i normally the only way i have to boot under pci which cant be right..right?it will boot and run under this but still shows the low vitural ram thing

and i havent tried booting under onboard chipset but i doubt this would be any better

if you check under device manager it never shows the onboard chip set as running but i really dont think its disabled...that or my mobo is bad(i have had issues with it in the past)

...so soon i wish to upgrade my mobo/processor but dont want to do this if i wont be able to boot(just in case it is the card and it really does have no working ram)

please help me diagnose my issues.really dont wana upgrade other hardware if my card is the issue(if the card is at fault its not to big a issue.ill just warrenty it out.but i dont want to waste the time if it isnt that..obviously..i mean who likes wasting time.haha)

...but really dont think its the card(guess all i have is a gut feeling)

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
-frankie

mr.birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: video card help

Are you running a 32bit Operating System?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Hefemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

64bit
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bumpdigity
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

So even in onboard perfs it wont allow you to select onboard video and disable or select pcie slot. I tried to find more info on the hp site you linked to but there support sucks. The manuals section is lacking for sure. Have you tried there on line chat.
I found this link Adding or Replacing an Expansion Card (Video Card, Sound Card, etc...) HP Pavilion p6310f Desktop PC | HP Support
sPlAtOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ya there support is terrible.thankfully interwebz helps at times.

so update i am able to select pcie solt(i changed my mobo bios to a older version and keep doing that til i found one that worked)

eventually i did

but now i updated my video card drivers and blew everything to ****
....should have just left it alone.haha

now its forsure a video card driver issue
..but the issue now is if i use the most current driver or my old one it still acts up :/

symptoms:blurry screen.crashes.screen "shakes"

ideas?

i tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that helped...some.....but still according to my computer drivers still not working properly(obviously silly computer.haha)

ah this is fun

also thanks for the help guys.i appreciate any imput
Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

found my original driver disk!its a few drivers ago.uninstalled everything.loaded that bad boy up and bam!works great now.