Video card has stopped working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 12-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Video card has stopped working

My notebook is a Lenovo W541 and the specs are:
System: Windows 8.1
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710MQ Quad Core (2.5 GHz, 6Mb Cache, Turbo 3.5 GHz)
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M 2GB and an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

So I was playing Space Engineers and the game was responding slow to my keyboard and mouse. I thought it might've been because the CPU was not working hard enough so I changed some of the settings of it. Afterwards it seemed to not make any difference so I updated my drivers of my NVIDIA video card and then the Device Manager kept giving the error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)".

When I play Space Engineers now, only the Intel video card shows up in the menu and the NVIDIA video card is nowhere to be found. I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall all the NVIDIA drivers using DDU several times. I've restored my system to a previous version when the GPU worked fine. Neither seem to work as the Device Manager displays the same error.

I also noticed that I currently have no NVIDIA Control Panel installed on my notebook. I'm not sure if it wasn't there all the time but it isn't there now.

Any help regarding solving this problem would be highly appreciated!

MasterForcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Video card has stopped working

Did you install the regular Nvidia drivers? Or the special ones you need for that card? That could be your problem.

Intel i5 4640 - XFX R9 280
Corsair Vengeance 8GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic 620W PSU
steve10765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Video card has stopped working

I restored my system (including the drivers) to a restore point on which the GPU used to run fine. So i don't think the driver is the problem here.

When I reinstalled my drivers I installed this version:
NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro Desktop/Quadro Notebook Driver Release 352 WHQL

Right now (after the restoration), I'm using NVIDIA Graphics Driver 345.35.
Either both do not work for my GPU or there's some other problem.
MasterForcer is offline   Reply With Quote

gpu error, windows 8.1, wrong gpu