Video Card Gone Bad??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to KNiGHTMaRe89
Default Video Card Gone Bad???

How do you know when a video card goes bad?

I think my 2 week old 8800GTS(g92) has gone bad because if its not my one monitor, my other one gets all fuzzy for 10 - 20 seconds at a time, then finally kicks back in.

Any ideas? How could both monitors be bad?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: Video Card Gone Bad???

First step is to use the newest drivers from nvidia.com. Have you tried switching the two monitors slots? See if the problem with monitor A is now B's and vice-versa. That should ensure the problem isn't monitor related. If you've tried that, try unplugging one of the monitors and only using one for a while. If the problem still persists it's leaning mostly towards a video card issue.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Lightbulb Re: Video Card Gone Bad???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvb724 View Post
First step is to use the newest drivers from nvidia.com. Have you tried switching the two monitors slots? See if the problem with monitor A is now B's and vice-versa. That should ensure the problem isn't monitor related. If you've tried that, try unplugging one of the monitors and only using one for a while. If the problem still persists it's leaning mostly towards a video card issue.

I would download a copy of Driver Cleaner (it's Free), uninstall you Nvidia Drivers and install new drivers form Nvidia as suggested. Sounds like dirvers are fubared to me.

Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com
Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Triforcer

DriverCleaner won't guarantee that your driver is removed completely however. There was another problem just solved that DriverCleaner didn't remove the driver properly and had reformat. It is a very good program for the most part though.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to KNiGHTMaRe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvb724 View Post
DriverCleaner won't guarantee that your driver is removed completely however. There was another problem just solved that DriverCleaner didn't remove the driver properly and had reformat. It is a very good program for the most part though.

Unless I am blind, I am pretty sure I have the latest drivers. I never install drivers from a disc, I get the latest ones from nvidia.com.

I unhooked the monitors and only had 1 and it still did it. Seems like this video card is hosed. I guess that's what happens when you thing your getting something good and spend tons of money on it.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Triforcer

Yeah if you tried everything I've suggested then it's most likely your video card. Just RMA it.

Closed Thread