Video Card does not work?
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their help with me building my Computer, I recieved a score of 6/7 (Big project, determines whether you graduate program, passing = 3) where the average score is a 4 or a 5.
So now, my video card has been out for awhile now. I own a BFG GTS250. My computer was working swell for a long time then after my brother pulled a USB cord out of the computer, it died (???). So I have been troubleshooting and it comes down to my Graphics Card or PSU
So heres what I did:
I removed parts of the computer and replaced them with what I could, all the parts worked as in the computer turned on and had the regular beep sound when I removed the graphics card. So the computer works absolutely FINE with the graphics card. But, when I put it back in, it doesn't....
So...I then deduced it to prehaps its my power supply, I have a Cooler Master PSU with 350 Watts of power ( I was reccomended not measure power by Watts, but I forgot how to measure it) and I thought, well it is a GTS250, which does take up quite a bit of power (my CPU is a Tri-Core mid-price AMD) So I happened to have a StealthXStream PSU with 500 watts of power lying around also, and I replaced it. So...the new PSU worked fine without the graphics card but when I put in the graphics card (as in put the PSU cord into the graphics card) the computer stops working.
This is how it stops working, when I press the button, it turns blue for a second (that just the regular light) and the fan rotates for about 1/5 of a rotation, then it just stops, in other words, its on for about 1/3 of a second. Then it has to "chill" for awhile before I can try to turn it on again, as in it won't respond for a couple minutes to me pressing the power button.The power indicator on my Mobo says that the PSU is running, so actually I believe I can get rid of the PSU being the problem. Can anyone give me a bit of advice? I want to be surefire positive before I buy a part to replace it
Some general information
-I believe I used the Cooler Master and StealthXStream PSU's and they both worked fine with the GTS 250
1) There is only one cord from the PSU to be plugged into the Graphics card right (the 6 pronged one)?
2) What should I do? What tests should I take to be sure the Graphics card is broken, if it is even broken (my computer knowledge has dipped a little bit after I built the computer)
3) Will 500 Watts support a GTX 260? (I was reccomended 600 Watts by microcenter, but I don't believe them for some reason, my CPU again is a AMD 3x processor)
4) How should I measure the power of the PSU?
5) 4870 vs 260, 260 is near equivelent to 4870, why is 260 on newegg around 160$ while 4870 1g is 100$?
#2 is the very most important one so please help, the sooner the better, thanks everyone for your time, knowing you forumers, I'll probably reach a conclusion quickly.