Video Card/CPU dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaminlegend38

Solid State Member
So anyway, I started to play Battlefield 2 for the first time after the recent patch. I noticed that it was REALLLLLY laggy at first, just like it usually is. Well anyway it got much, much better and I played a game online.

During the game, some retarded program that I forget to turn off started to free up some RAM, which also makes it REALLLLLLLY laggy. So I tried minimizing BF2 but the computer froze so I said screw it and turned it off. When I rebooted, Windows was all screwed up.

The taskbar isn't there, and it gives me an Error that says taskbar couldn't be loaded or something like that. At first, all the docks I had (if you don't know, it's a program where you basically dock all your desktop items to the left/right, bottom/top, I have 3) never showed up.

So I booted into safe mode, ran AVG virus scanner, and did a system restore to a few days ago where I hadn't downloaded the patch yet. Now the docks showed up but there was still no taskbar.

*Note: Even though no virus's showed up, I did get two errors. They were both related to reading the C: partition and startup section of Windows or whatever.

Then I tried repairing Windows using the startup disc, but it didn't work.

I'm thinking something either screwed with the video card drivers, the video card got fried (I HIGHLY doubt it, it ran only at 70 degrees C and there supposed to take up to 120) or the CPU got fried, and even then it was only at like 50 at max.

Any ideas at to what the problem might be?

Also, if you could, can someone tell me how to reformat the hard drive or erase it completely? Yeah, I'm an idiot when it comes to that.

Also, I haven't checked if something got unseated but I also highly doubt that happened.

Thanks.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4F (MS-7125 I believe)
Video Card: MSI nVidia GeForce 6600GT
RAM: Corsair ValueSelect 1GB (2x512)

By the sounds of what you're explaining it is almost definitly software related. Maybe a windows file got corrupt when it crashed.

To reformat you set the bios to boot off cd, and then put the windows cd in and reboot the comp. Then you can install windows from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom