Video Card causing erratic behavior - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Video Card causing erratic behavior

I am running Windows Vista Premium 32 bit O/S, with 2 GB of memory, Dual LCD monitors hooked to a new XFXForce ATI Radeon 4600 series dual monitor AGP 8x video card with 1GB of memory on board, it is a powered card hooked to a molex power connector.

Here is my problem, ever since I installed this card my scrolling, typing, mouse clicks, etc. have gotten completely erratic. My typing has gone into a lag behind mode, I am a very poor typist and I am out typing what shows on the screen by 3 fold.

I have went to XFX website and downloaded and installed the most up to date driver they have, I have removed my wireless scroll mouse and replaced it with a usb scroll mouse, I have adjusted ALL of the settings available in the scroll mouse settings menu, I have went into the BIOS and used ctrl + F1 to expose the hidden BIOS settings and increased the AGP aperture to 256mb (I was VERY dissappointed to see that was the max my MO would handle after buying a 1GB card!) but, all of these were to no avail. Nothing I did corrected the issue. While changing the settings in the scroll mouse menu did make a change in the movements it did not eliminate the issue.

ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated as just writing this thread is a super pain under these conditions!

System Specs

CPU - Asus
Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co, Ltd. 7VT600-P-RZ
Processor - 2.2 ghz AMD Athlon XP
Bus Clock - 200 megahertz
Hard drives - 76.55 GB with 11.28 GB free
- 500.11 GB with 478.4 GB free
Monitors - 19.1" Samsung Syncmaster
- 22.4" Viewsonic
Bus adapter - VIA VT8237 RAID Controller Rev 5
Wireless keyboard - Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1
Wireless Mouse - Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000
Memory - Adata DDR 400 Dual kit 2 GB with heatsink
O/S - Vista Premium 32bit
Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series w/ 1 GB dedicated graphics memory
and 507 mb Shared system Memory, Driver ver. 8.661.0.0
DirectX - DirectX 10

Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Video Card causing erratic behavior

I would suspect that your power supply is having a hard time. You didn't list one in your specs. - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Closed Thread