VIA USB card

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein1jo

In Runtime
Hey, I have a VIA USB PCI card. It has a USB expansion port. Looks just like the 5 pin USB port on the motherboard and labeled 1-5. I wanted to hook my card reader to it, but I can't. Apparently nothing I connect to the expansion port will recognize. Anybody know what I'm talking about and how to use it?

Ya, I don't have a manual. This card was OEM. I checked VIA's website and they have nothing either. Usually USB is pin 1 power, pin 2 negative, pin 3 positive, pin 4 ground. I got nothing from that so I tried reversing and all the combinations. When I put power on pin 5 and reversed the order I got windows to recognize something was there, but it couldn't figure out what it is. When I plug my reader directly into the motherboard it's fine.

Does anyone know of a small adapter that converts an internal USB connector to plug into an external one?

VIA USB Card

Firstly not the best card - However.....
The header has 2 layers of pins. Is there one pin on its own?
If there is this is usually the one closest to the ground pins.

+5 -D +D GND

look above looks bad I know.
This is the normal header output on the VIA card. I have 2 in my PC.

If this is not how your header looks then let me know.

I've heard not the best card. Oh well, it was cheap. Here's some pictures of my card

P04_0.jpg

P04_1.jpg

The second one shows a USB expansion interface. This is what I was assuming I could plug my card reader into. It's labeled 1-5 like you said. I plugged in my reader 1-4 leaving 5 unused. Is that right? If so I wonder why it doesn't work.

If I could find an adapter I could plug it into the internal USB port. And what's the point of the 5V power in socket.

USB Card

The +5 volt is for additional power for USB devices. Remember the port can only supply a certain amount of current. The only way to get more current is to add additional power to the card.

You are correct. this is how the card is supposed to be connected. Obviously your model is different to mine. Which it should not be as it looks the same.

Does the card reader power up. Just not recognized or is it completely dead.

If I connect with the power on J1, it does nothing. If I reverse it and connect it with the power on J5, it powers up but Windows recongnizes it as an unknown device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom