Very unsual problem has me stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inf0rm3r

Solid State Member
I just bought a nvidia 7300 256mb 8x agp card today along with a new psu a 600 watt one. I replaced the psu with the old one then put in the new graphics card. The old one still works its a 6800LE 128mb AGP gainward card. I tried booting up eveyrthing seeming ok at first but the screen wouldnt come on. I thought straight away oh i have gotten a faulty card. But i tried putting the old one back in and nothing showed up on the screen. So I put the old psu that was originally in the box back in. Still nothing at all. So i put the new card in another computer it worked fine. Then i swapped the new card in the other computer with the 6800 and it came up ok then something about Bios recovery came up. It just sat there for 5 minutes doing nothing at the same screen. So i turned it off and put the 7300 back in and now i have nothing even though it worked before. So basically i have 2 pcs with blank screens soon as i turn them on.

Can anyone help me?

oh btw the new card has 3 slits in the gold pins. An example of this is here

http://aopen.jp/products/vga/images/6200-dv128lp-agp.gif

The 6800 has only 2 an example of this is here

http://www.gpureview.com/database/images/videocards/pov/geforce-6800-gt-agp.jpg

See the differences.

) did you try resetting CMOS yet?

) Did you make shur to push the AGP card in all the way? AGP cards click twice(thy go down twice as far as other cards.)
------------------------------

some notes, incase you dont already know:

the 6800LE 128mb is higher performance then the 7300 256mb
(Ram size has little to do with performance)

the extra notch on the 7300 doesnt mean anything... it may just mean its compatable with older 3.3v agp sots as well. (all modern AGP slots are 1.5v) you can see pic here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

neither of those GFX cards need anything more then a 350watt Powersupply. (a cheap generic 600watt could perform worse then a Good 400watt Powersupply anyway).

I cleared CMOS still nothing shows on the screen when i turn either of them on.

I re-seated the cards again still nothing.

One of the motherboards said exactly this in the booklet to reset CMOS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This jumper allows you to clear the real time clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS. You can clear the CMOS memory of date, time and system setup parameters by erasing the CMOS RTC RAM Data. The RAM data in CMOS that include system setup information such as system passwords, is powered by the onboard button cell battery.

To erase RTC RAM:

turn off computer and unplug cord.
2. Move the jumper caps from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5-10 seconds then move cap back to pins 1-2.

3. Plug in power cord and turn pc on.

4. Hold down del key during setup and enter bios setup to re-enter data.

--------------------------------

I did that. I also tried moving pins from 1-2 to 2-3 then turning it on nothing happened. But I remember that being the way on another pc I fixed before.

On the other computer which was originally working. The one that stuffed up after i put the 6800 in it. I reset the CMOS on that aswell still nothing. The book just said have a 2 pin jumper on the 2 pins to reset and open for normal.

I am aware that memory size on graphics cards has little to do with performance. I just bought it due to my brothers card getting a bit to old. It was an MX-4000 :p

Anyone got anymore ideas on this? I have never been to a comp shop to get my comp fixed and I don't want to make it a first :p

Does each of the computers have a Tiny motherboard Speaker hooked up?.... so if BIOS has a error message it can beep it to you.

if so do you hear any beeps when trying to boot either of thoes machines?

what do the comps do when they try and start? Does Nothing happen except the Fans spin? or do you also hear the HDD clicking? etc?

Remove your ram and re-seat it to make sure the cmos is cleared pull the battery for around 15 seconds. Before you change a card always remove the software and drivers first.

Does each of the computers have a Tiny motherboard Speaker hooked up?.... so if BIOS has a error message it can beep it to you.

I have no system speakers in the systems. Unfortunately. I will try and find one tommorow and get back to you.

what do the comps do when they try and start? Does Nothing happen except the Fans spin? or do you also hear the HDD clicking? etc?

The hdd light the red one is blinking. The green on is on like normal. I also have a lcd panel on the case that says how long hte system has been on and this works because it can count. Cpu fan is on psu fans are on and all other fans in the case are all working perfectly.

Remove your ram and re-seat it to make sure the cmos is cleared pull the battery for around 15 seconds.

When i do this. Do i have the power cable unplugged when i do this? or do i have to take it out then turn the pc on for 15 seconds????

Unplug it. Always Always unplug a PC before you work on it

Oh and by the way you should ground yourself before touching anything in the case. The case is a good ground (when its plugged in) also you could touch small bolt that holds the faceplate on a plug socket. If you are working in an area with a rug you could have fried both motherboards with static electricity.

I took out the battery. Left it for a minute or 2 then put it back in and turned everything back in. Still nothing on the screen. I re-seated both slots of ram aswell. I also tried running with just one stick of ram in aswell. and there is no rug where i am working :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom