VERY strange PSU issue.... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default VERY strange PSU issue....

Ok, so recently I have had issues with my server, done some slight upgrades a few months back, 4GB of DDR2 800 3 months ago, and a newer processor... Well here recently a thin wire melted and broke in half, took the wire out and replaced it with a wire of the same gauge, well when I turned it back on, the wire on the entire set going from the PSU to my hard drive bank literaly MELTED, all the way down, in less than a second, needless to say, there is FAR to much amperage going through it, but what the **** could possibly pull over 10 amps through a wire??? It is just a bank of hard drives, 6 of them... I don't have the money to replace the PSU, so anyone have any ideas why it could be doing this and not cutting it self off???

Kinda rather ****ed, because now I could have possibly fried my only IDE controller, the wire melted right into the cable and cut through it about half way, and hit a FEW SATA cables, but didn't get far enough into them....
Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On