Very Odd Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grolgan

Beta member
Hello everyone!

Wife and I got 2 new packaged PC's a few months ago and lately her's has been overheating but at a very low tempreature...

Gateway LX6810-01
nVidia GeForce GT120
Vista 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
8GB DDR2 RAM

Both systems have same specs. Mine is currently in an enclosed area of my computer desk, BIOS is reporting the following:

CPU Temp: 31C
System Temp: 47C
CPU FAN: 1310~ RPM

Over all far below the dangerous 90C levels it would take to kill the machine.

Her's on the other hand, when we had it in her enclosed area of her desk it would overheat, so we moved the PC to the top of her desk, wide open area, thinking maybe it was too enclosed and was causing it to suffocate for lack of a better term but it still overheats and shuts itself down. I'm thinking, theres no way. She has to put a small fan onto the vent on the side of the PC just to avoid having it shut itself down.

I popped open the PC thinking maybe the PCU fan plug may have seeped off the motherboard, nope still connected. Both the CPU and Power supply fans are spinning with joy.

So I fired up the BIOS and watched it. Starting System temp was 27C with a CPU temp of 29C. After 10 minutes passed the system shut itself down, here were the final numbers:

CPU Temp: 31C
System Temp: 44C
CPU Fan: 1340~ RPM.

So if her's is dropping off at 44C, how come mine is running fine at 47C? And why is her CPU fan spinning slightly faster than mine?

Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 44C a tad bit low to be shutting down at?

We do have the Best Buy protection plan thing, contemplating on taking it in, but wanted to get some opinions first prior to doing so.

Thanks in advance!

hello sir,

that does seem strange that the pc would turn off at such a low temp. those temps dont call for overheating.

it could possibly be that the psu has failed. you wouldnt have a spare one lying around that you could try?

Feel if there is a lot of heat coming off of the North or Southbridges (the upper and lower heatsinks that aren't the CPU heatsink).

What is she doing when it shuts down? Anything intensive? Just sitting there idling?

Hello Grolgan & everyone, sorry to join in your topic but I have the EXACT same computer as you do & so I thought its better to post here than a new topic.

I'v got this Gateway computer for about 3months now and suddently today, it just started shutting down by itself and its so frustrating. At first, it shut down in about 2-5mins when I play a game (Fallout 3) and I thought it was just that game, but I tried another game I had that worked fine, and unfortunately that game had start to cause the computer to shut down too. I tried to research a solution but no luck.

I don't know if its overheating or a virus, but I downloaded SpeedFan & here is the status:

PCcheck1.jpg

And when I run the game fallout 3, it usually go up to 80c ish then shut down...but I don't think it should?
Lastly, it usually shut down when playing games, now lately it also happens while surfing internet, etc. but just take longer. so I had to rush & type this message with the fear of my computer shuttign down on me x_x

Thanks in advance.

well 80C if you are talking about your cpu is too hot.

at 3 months I would see about a warranty on it. If it was my computer where I am the warranty department I would start be doing a remount on my heatsink using some tx-2 as a replacement for the stock thermal paste that is applied with stock heatsinks.

Hello i am haveing the same exact problem, i have exact same model computer and bought on feb 15 2009. It started shutting down a week or ten days ago. this helped a lot. thank you.

i just wanted to mention that today i opened the sides and cleaned off the dust and it is working very well. played ut3 and crysis for 20-30 minutes and it did not shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom