Very low 3dmark score - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
DAG
Newb Techie

Default Very low 3dmark score

Hi,

I have a 2.8 ghz Xeon, 1 gig RAM, BFG GeForce 6200 AGP 256 mb card.

I ran 3dmark06 and only got 310 as a score...how is that possible? I have a widescreen monitor and am running at 1680x1050. I don't have speed issues in daily use, and games run fine with the settings on medium for the most part.

What could the problem here be? I was barely getting 2 fps while 3dmark06 was running, sometimes said 0.

I kept getting BSOD's when I tried to start it up, but I looked through their support thing, and disconnecting my external HD got rid of that.

Any ideas?

Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

What res are you running 3dmark06 at, native? I'm not certain you'd be able to do that well with a geforce 6200, that is a lower end card. I believe most benchmarks are taken at 1024x768 ot 1280x1024 res
THat's what comes to mind first for me, though I do not have 3dmark06 yet. I'm saving that for when I get my new place and my connection is faster.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well, it shouldnt be all that bad considering you're running a Xeon and a Gig of RAM, but like jorsoft03 said the card you're using is a really low end one, you might consider upgradeing to a 6600 or 7600GS

\"I may or may not have put a loaf of bread in the dish washer\"
\"Once you go white a trailer is in sight\"
Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
DAG
Newb Techie

Yeah I know the 6200 sucks but something else is wrong if I'm only getting 300, no? I mean 3dmark barely played but I can run Company of Heroes with medium settings?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Geek Squad

3dMark06 score does not test anything but the video card, Sure the processor and RAM come into play, but only mildly. The main issue is your old video card.

Oh and 3dMark06 is MENT to make your computerl ook like a pile of ****, it is the point of the program, to make you know exactly how much your computer blows.

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 10-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

What are your benchmarks with other versions of 3dmark like 03 and 05?
I read too that 06 is very video intensive. 3dmark itself is designed to see how your system runs on the next gen of games, like Crysis for example. WIth a vid card like that you won't get much out of a game like that.
So yeah check scores from other versions of 3dmark. Don't upgrade your video card until it's performance becomes unacceptable to you. If it's still playing the games you want then don't bother.