Very basic powe supply question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan7777

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm replacing my power supply myself instead of taking it to the shop...I've watched videos online and it looks easy enough. I know to leave my PC unplugged overnight before opening it and to ground myself. I'm just going to look at where everything is plugged in on the old one write it all down and then put the same plugs in from the new one.

But I can't even see everything on the first one, where everything is plugged in and such because there are so many extra wires that are just tied up in this huge bunch that kind blocks my view. I need to to cut the plastic ties on them get the wires out of the way and then examine what goes where.

My question is, and this is probably being too cautious but, is it safe to replace those plastic ties with kitchen twist ties that are plastic but have a little aluminum wire on the inside? The metal won't cause any problems? I only ask because i notice the ties that came with it from the store are all just plastic thing.

Just wondering....thanks.

Ryan

Writing down the locations isn't a bad idea, but if this is your first time replacing a power supply, you may forget what goes where as some connectors connect very close to each other.
If you are able, take pictures, many pictures from different perspectives.

How old is the computer/power supply?
If the power supply is not older than 7 years or so, then a modern power supply would suffice.

Using plastic twist ties should suffice. There are better options though, including tape and zip ties. I would recommend using a small amount of tape over the twist ties because it will not be conductive, and the twist ties can exert a lot of force on a small area if tied too tightly. This can shorten the functioning lifespan of the wires, same goes with over tightened zip ties. I would use zip ties or tape over twist ties.

Edit: Unimportant; The metal in twist ties is not aluminum, but an iron alloy.

I got my latest PC about three years ago, the power supply on the sheet that came with
it says: "IS FC-IS11A P4 ATX Middle Tower Case with 450 power supply". And the unit I got to replace it is the startech "ATX12V 2.01 Power Supply." I found no other 450 power supply by this company so i assume it is the same thing as what's in my PC now and it should be easy to figure out what goes where.

I didn't know you could buy those ZIP ties! Or what they were even called...i'll call my PC store about picking those up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom