Vertex 2E SSD Underperforming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Got my Vertex 2E 60GB today.

Formatted all my hdd's and did a clean install of Windows 7 32bit. Enabled AHCI, disabled page file, hibernate, defrag and that kind of thing.

So i run the windows benchmark, and my primary hdd gets a score of 5.9, i looked around on youtube and someone with the old vertex scored 7.1, Velociraptors score around 5.9 though. Vertex 2 should be much better than a velociraptor. So, thinking Windows is just lame i fire up the same version of ATTO Disk Benchmark that legitreviews used on there review. Theres looked much better than mine.

Mine:

attobench.png

Legitreviews:

vertex2_atto2.jpg

I also tried copying 4gb of videos from and into the same folder on the Vertex 2, after about 10 seconds it was hovering around at 60 to 70mb/s, seems a little low to me ?

Try running the AS SSD benchmark that's posted in the overclocking section here. It's more thorough than most tests and may help narrow the issue down. I'm particularly interested in seeing what it says about the partition alignment.

I solved it now, kinda. Used a different sata cable and sata slot. Not my max write was 251mb, but my max read was 20mb less at ~209

I'll run that bench anyway.

AS SSD Benchmark 1.5.3784.37609
------------------------------
Name: OCZ-VERTEX2 ATA Device
Firmware: 1.11
Controller: pciide
Offset: 1024 K - OK
Size: 55.90 GB
Date: 02/09/2010 16:38:57
Sequential:
Read: 160.89 MB/s
Write: 89.96 MB/s
4K:
Read: 20.11 MB/s
Write: 54.61 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 23.57 MB/s
Write: 78.44 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.115 ms
Write: 0.238 ms
Score:
Read: 60
Write: 142
Total: 238

I just compared it to your 1st post in the AS SSD thread, i would of expected my write and read sequential to be higher than yours. Hmm..

edit:

My WD 500GB 7200rpm scored 2mb better in Sequntial writes -.- :omg:

AS SSD Benchmark 1.5.3784.37609
Name: OCZ-VERTEX2 ATA Device
Firmware: 1.11
Controller: pciide
Offset: 1024 K - OK
Size: 55.90 GB
Date: 02/09/2010 16:38:57
Sequential:
Read: 160.89 MB/s
Write: 89.96 MB/s
4K:
Read: 20.11 MB/s
Write: 54.61 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 23.57 MB/s
Write: 78.44 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.115 ms
Write: 0.238 ms
Score:
Read: 60
Write: 142
Total: 238

I just compared it to your 1st post in the AS SSD thread, i would of expected my write and read sequential to be higher than yours. Hmm..

edit:

My WD 500GB 7200rpm scored 2mb better in Sequntial writes -.- :omg:

Measuring performance solely using sequential read/write is about as accurate as measuring cpu performance using ghz. Random read/write speed is considerably more important and I'm willing to bet your SSD is at least an order of magnitude faster than the hard drive there.

Your 4k random writes are right in line with the only other sandforce drive on the list which is a good sign and the partition alignment looks ok. For some reason the Intel X25-V's managed to beat you which seems very odd but nothing stands out as being terribly wrong. Does your system feel much more responsive now?

If things still don't feel right you may want to check out OCZ's forums. They have a lot of good info and would be able to give you better info on your specific drive.

Yeh i know sequential speeds are little to do with responsiveness, but when it comes to loading windows and game levels they matter. And i just thought, and still think they should, be higher.

I keep reading to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 drivers to use over the microsoft AHCI drivers. But whenever i install, it says i don't meet the minimum system requirements. And it's driving me nuts, ive already had to reset my mobo cmos and reinstall win 7 twice today to try and fix it. But no luck, 1 or 2 people have complained of the same problem but no one seems to bother answering.

The thing is i know ur supposed to enable AHCI in the BIOS before installing Windows 7, but i have 2 settings. One is the SATA Controller where i can sellect IDE, AHCI or IDE and RAID. And the other option is SATA AHCI mode (on or off). I enabled the 1st one before installing Win 7, and whenever i tried to enable the 2nd one thats when i have to reset my CMOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom