Using SATA - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Using SATA

Hi,

I've just finished building a PC and am now in the stages of installing an OS (XP).
However, I am having a hard time installing it because of my SATA hard drive and CD Rom.
My motherboard came with a driver CD (incl. SATA drivers). But I was told to install motherboard drivers AFTER OS installation. Even if I do try to install the driver before OS, it does not work.

I can't install the Windows XP because my motherboard is not detecting the CD-drive. So I replaced my SATA CD-drive with an IDE, and popped XP in.
But then it did not register the hard drive (because it is SATA), so it did not proceed with Windows setup.

After doing some research, I got a floppy disk (one was not included with my motherboard) and went to Gigabyte's website to download a driver to put on the floppy disk.
I thought maybe this would work, but it is not registering the floppy disk, either.

I tried extracting MENU.exe from the CD driver onto the floppy disk and that did not work either.
Do I have to do something with the hard drive? Is it possible to install XP using my SATA CD-drive?

I've exhausted all my resources and I would greatly appreciate help.

Thanks, and feel free to ask for information about anything.

Motherboard -
GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard

Hard drive -
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA 3.0 gb/s (OEM)

Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Using SATA

I would make sure the SATA hard drive is in the first slot. Then go into the BIOS and try to access the way it boots. Have it boot off the CD ROM first then the SATA hard drive.

Make sure the CD ROM is set to the Primary Master (jumper).

Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Web Programmer

for a sata drive and XP install i found the following process worked:

set bios to boot on CD, then on Hard drive. put the floppy disk in. then when it boots on the CD and starts XP installation, the screen should go blue, and itll say "press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers" or something like that. press F6 QUICKLY because youll lose the option in a few seconds. then itll ask you to specifiy what drivers are needed for SATA. you should then have a choice of Raid controller and Raid driver. press enter on one of them, then press s again to specify another driver, and then press enter on the other driver. if there are more drivers required, repeat above steps to install rivers for those too. then XP installation will ask you which drive you want to install it on, then itll partition the disk. then the installation should work fine. if that works, then use the floppy disk to install the drivers in XP.

tell me how it goes.

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Great, it works now. Thanks to both of you for lending your advice.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Your welcome. If you have any more questions about anything even non-computer related, come back on here.