using partition magic 8 to clone a hard drive help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjrodezno

In Runtime
i bought a new hard drive to replace an old one except i didnt want to do a clean install just wanted to upgrade to a larger drive.
i got partition magic 8 (from a friend) and i copied the main partition onto the new drive following this guide
How to Ghost Copy Clone Duplicate Hard Drives Ghosting Cloning Duplicator Partition Magic 8 Symantec Norton Ghost Ranish Partition Manager-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
i set the partition to be a primary partition and unhidden. i left the rest of the drive as unallocated space (figured i could just format it once i got the new drive going)
everything was copied successfully (i know because i can see the files through windows explorer) but it wont boot from the new drive.
gives me a boot fail press f1 to retry or f2 for setup (f2 takes me to bios)
does it matter that its a dell?
any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance

Edit: i found out by reading the powerquest help file (f1) that the partition must be set to "active"
i dont think ive done that so i will try and post back if it worked or not

Edit: ok i tried it yesterday and although the drive was recognized as an active partition it gave me an error saying there was no operating system

The easiest way to do what you want is to use Norton ghost. Its soooo easy. You just need to make 2 ghost floppies to boot from. or you can use the CD ROM also.

it's easier to boot from the pm cd and clone it then. never clone from ide to sata or vice versa

i had initially thought of getting ghost to clone the hdd but opted against it because all the guides i read required floppy disks and i dont have a floppy drive haha :D
but if it comes in cd format too then it shouldnt be a problem

i had initially thought of getting ghost to clone the hdd but opted against it because all the guides i read required floppy disks and i dont have a floppy drive haha :D
but if it comes in cd format too then it shouldnt be a problem

it does. you can use either program. what's your hard drive type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom