USB Universal controller issues Windows 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default USB Universal controller issues Windows 7

Hi everyone, I formatted my PC and installed windows 7 last week. Everything has been working great until today. Suddenly I'm getting errors with my USB drives. please see the image below. My keyboard and mouse will work perfectly for ~15 minutes, then I'll hear the booping noise that the computer makes when you plug something into the USB and the mouse and keyboard will be completely unresponsive. I then tried a separate USB port and they worked there for a couple minutes before it died again. At that point I had to restart my PC.

I don't really know too much about USB drives but could they be conflicting with eachother suddenly? I only have one mouse and keyboard plugged in yet on the Devices list there are two separate entries. On the general tab for the Universal controller it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Could a bad mouse potentially freak out the entire USB interface? (Been having some problems with my mouse before this started happening) I'm not sure if the issue I am having is hardware or software related at this point.

Any help or ideas as to what could be causing this would be very appreciated

Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: USB Universal controller issues Windows 7

What mb do you have? installed all of the latest drivers for it?

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 03-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: USB Universal controller issues Windows 7

Hey Hefe, I have a Asus P6T motherboard. I updated what drivers I could but it hasn't helped. The keyboard/mouse cutting out seems to be completely random. It does it in games or when just browsing the web sometimes. I have one more question before I consider a reformat. Please view this picture

For some reason the picture is very small, but under the keyboard section there are three entries for HID Keyboard Device. Under mouse there are two entries for HID Compliant Mouse and Logitech HID-compliant G5 Laser Mouse. Are there supposed to be multiples? I figured there would be only a single entry for both the mouse and the keyboard. Could this be causing the issue?
Closed Thread