USB stick won't create a drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2007, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default USB stick won't create a drive

(Windows XP pro)

I just got a new USB stick.

I put it in, and it worked great. I copied UFOAI install file onto it (267mb).

Then I wanted to move all the data from my old 128mb drive to my new one.

The old drive was fat, and needed to be in the slot that the new one was in for both the memory sticks to be in the PC at the same time.

So I took out the new one, inserted the old one in that USB port. Then inserted the new one into the adjacent USB port.

It only saw the old USB stick. Then I copied the old USB's data to the hard drive, and removed it. Put the new one in the original port... and NO Drive is allocated.

The "safely remove hardware" button appears in the system tray, but XP doesn't create a drive for it... How can I fix it?

(I must also say, that our Network drives start from F:\, and I have a C:\ a D:\ and then E:\ (the old drive).)

Please help!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: USB stick won't create a drive

Ok... This worked...

I uninstalled the driver (Device manager, find the device, right click, uninstall).

But then when I inserted it again, it didn't work. (Reinstalled, but didn't show the drive).

Then I uninstalled it again, but this time put the USB into A DIFFERENT PORT. This time it created a drive. Go Figure...
Closed Thread