USB Stick Trouble

-SeanS

Solid State Member
Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone can give any advice on the problems I am experiencing with a USB stick at the minute. Yesterday it started playing up and would not allow me to write any relatively large files to the stick (above 500MB). What happens is I press paste to transfer the files, windows calculates the time remaining and size of the file needing to be transferred and it begins to do so at around 10mb/s however, this transfer quickly drops until it reaches 0kb/s and stays there. I backed up all my pics to the stick and was worried that I had lost it all as when plugged in to my PC it stated there was an error with the USB stick. After trying to fix the drive using Windows 8's inbuilt software it was unsuccessful, thankfully however it allowed me to transfer all of the files on the stick back on to the PC drive (just not write anything to it).

After formatting the stick a few times I tried contacting Freecom support (it's a II Freecom 32GB stick) who said I should reformat to a different format from FAT32 (I tried NTFS) then try to transfer the larger files again and see if it works. So I transferred all of my music/pictures back on to the stick (total of 29GB) and it worked fine.

Now after reinstalling the operating system on my PC (reason why I wanted to transfer these files to the stick in the first place) it won't allow me to transfer the files on to the PC! The same issue as described above is now happening trying to transfer files from the stick. Has anyone had any experience with these sorts of issues? I know I am trying to transfer a large amount of data in one go but I have had no trouble doing this before, is the USB stick corrupt? Or is it possibly a software issue?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Guys
Now after reinstalling the operating system on my PC (reason why I wanted to transfer these files to the stick in the first place) it won't allow me to transfer the files on to the PC! The same issue as described above is now happening trying to transfer files from the stick. Has anyone had any experience with these sorts of issues? I know I am trying to transfer a large amount of data in one go but I have had no trouble doing this before, is the USB stick corrupt? Or is it possibly a software issue?
Thanks for your help!

Sorry about your issue your having, but when I use usb drives, sd-cards or portable hdd's for storage I stick with fat32 always.
I suggest on the next go, you fully format it in windows 7 or 8 and choose fat32bit.
Accessibility wise I haven't encountered the problem you have but this should be able to work.

How to Access Files From SD Cards and USB Drives in Modern Windows 8 Apps

The second link I am giving you may work out better for you.

How to transfer data from your old computer to Windows 8

Let me know what happens.

Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone can give any advice on the problems I am experiencing with a USB stick at the minute. Yesterday it started playing up and would not allow me to write any relatively large files to the stick (above 500MB). What happens is I press paste to transfer the files, windows calculates the time remaining and size of the file needing to be transferred and it begins to do so at around 10mb/s however, this transfer quickly drops until it reaches 0kb/s and stays there. I backed up all my pics to the stick and was worried that I had lost it all as when plugged in to my PC it stated there was an error with the USB stick. After trying to fix the drive using Windows 8's inbuilt software it was unsuccessful, thankfully however it allowed me to transfer all of the files on the stick back on to the PC drive (just not write anything to it).

After formatting the stick a few times I tried contacting Freecom support (it's a II Freecom 32GB stick) who said I should reformat to a different format from FAT32 (I tried NTFS) then try to transfer the larger files again and see if it works. So I transferred all of my music/pictures back on to the stick (total of 29GB) and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help!

It's possible that the flash drive is dying. Have you had any issues with any other drives?

Does the flash drive have the same issue on other computers?

I have heard that when these things get used up to their life expectancy, the memory no longer can take more data , you will be able to get data off the drive but it can not write.

Thanks for all the replies guys and sorry for the delay in replying! I have tried the USB stick on a different laptop and having the same issues. It did work for a while but eventually I encountered the same problem. Joe - I was wondering this myself, I have an SSD and know that they have a life expectancy in terms of the total bytes that can be written, do USB sticks have this and is it relatively low? I will probably give Freecom a ring tomorrow to see if it can be replaced.

Thanks for all the replies guys and sorry for the delay in replying! I have tried the USB stick on a different laptop and having the same issues. It did work for a while but eventually I encountered the same problem. Joe - I was wondering this myself, I have an SSD and know that they have a life expectancy in terms of the total bytes that can be written, do USB sticks have this and is it relatively low? I will probably give Freecom a ring tomorrow to see if it can be replaced.

Yes, flash drives have this limit because they're flash chips (which are what SSD's are based on as well).

Thanks, that seems like the most likely explanation then. I'll give them a call when I get chance and update you.

Back
Top Bottom