USB to Serial Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default USB to Serial Problem

I have a program that uses a piece of external hardware that connects to my comp via a serial cable and COM port but I do not have a COM port on my laptop but instead several USB ports. I bought a USB to Serial cable and connected the serial end to the hardware and the USB end to my laptop but when I run the program it does not recognize that the hardware is attatched despite the fact the use of a USB to serial cable is listed as an option for connecting the hardware by the manufacturer.

The thing is that when I prompt the software at look for available COM ports on my laptop it shows that there is in fact a port listed as "COM3" and that it is working but does not find the hardware on that port. Ive tried connecting the hardware via each of the 4 USB ports I have hoping that one of them is "COM3" but to no avail.

I have another desktop in another room in my house which has a COM port on which the hardware works great. Is there any way I could install a COM port on my laptop and get this thing to work!?!

-Thanks for reading, I know its a little long

Old 02-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

what is the hardware you are trying to connect? there would probably be drivers for an adapter like that and if you haven't already you should install them.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The hardware is a programmable microcontroller and the software is the compiler for it. The USB to serial cable did come with a driver that I've installed.

Is getting a USB port to act as a COM port something that one should have no trouble doing or is it something thats a bit iffy?
Old 02-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it is a bit iffy but it should be achievable. if i were you i would try to stick to using the desktop with the COM port if possible. messing around with an adapter and programing micro-controllers in my opinion seems a little risky. i know it will cost more money but if all else fails you should be able to find a usb microcontroller programmer.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is it possible to have a COM port built into the motherboard of a laptop somehow? Is there a large infastructure for a COM port built into a COM equipped motherboard?
Closed Thread