USB problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13
Default USB problems

Basically, my main point of this post is to ask the difference between the two different types of USB ports I have.

Inside the slot, one type has a long horizontal bar in the center, and one has 4 metal prongs sticking out in a horizontal line.

I only have one port with the prong-type and it's broken - missing one of the prongs - and I'm looking to buy a replacement(not risking a repair shop again unless absolutely necessary) so I was wondering if someone could give me some kind of ... official name or model number that I can identify the pronged USB port as? Also, whether there's a difference or not in the performance or whether the prong-type is outdated or something?

Out of all the many USB-attachment stuff that I have, it's only my nearly-a-decade-old Logitech QuickCam that requires the prong-type.

Any help is well appreciated!
Thanks a bunch!!!

Zill is offline  
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 406
Send a message via AIM to Tox1cThreat

are you sure your looking at two USB ports?

It sounds like a USB and a firewire port:

(the firewire port is on its side, but it can be mounted vertical)

Tox1cThreat is offline  
Old 07-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13

Well ... I don't think it's a firewire because it's shaped exactly like a typical USB only the insides look different. Look, here is the slot plug for my webcam, it'll give you an idea of how the inside of this prong-type USB is, if it even turns out to be a USB port at all.

However, the upside of the webcam plug DOES have the USB symbol on it and everything.

(sorry for the .png filetype, I know some people dislike it)
Zill is offline  
Old 07-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
brinks's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,144

I think the image is "USB Type A Plug"
and you need to plug it into an "USB Type A Jack"

That's what I think it is from looking at the picture.
brinks is offline  
Old 07-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13

Ahhh, okay. Type A it must be, then.
I'll go with that, thanks a bunch!!!
Zill is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.