USB Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

daymo999

Solid State Member
Hiya there,
I have taken my hard drive out of my laptop and connected to my mums laptop, though a USB adapter. When i connected the hard drive, it came up with "your new hardware is ready to use" balloon near the clock, but i have no way of accessing the hard drive. It does not appear in My computer, but is under device manager under disk drives as "ST95A212 A USB Device" Any way of accessing the hard drive. Thanks Daimian

Go to Start -> Run -> type in whatever drive letter is the next open one.

eg. hard drive is C: two cd drives are D: and E: USB flash drive is F: so the next option would be G:

See if that works.

Do you have windows xp ? with sp2 ?

does your Moms pc support usb v2 or v1 ?

also your usb enclosure is it usb v1 or v2 ?

does the hd boot in your laptop ? what is the OS ?

Why are you taking it out of the notebook and connecting it to your Moms pc

you might try disconnecting the usb cable , reboot then plug in the usb cale after xp has loaded fully.

try this also

go to control panel, ( classic view) , admin tools, computer management, disk management, see if the hd shows there.

hiya there, my hard drive does not appear in disk managment. but in device mangement? does not make sence to me, any suggestion now thnks for replying

I think the HD showing in device manager is just the electronics or hardware aspect of the drive. NOT showing in disk manager makes me think that the MBR might be bad. or it is the USB.

you can always get one of those notebook to desktop ( $10) adapters, unplug everytng on your secondary IDE channel and hook the adapter with the notebook HD, this way you will not have to set jumpers on anything. Oh did you try booting the pc and then plug in the usb ?

yes i did try restart the laptop, then plug USB in, but that did not work either, i have got a CD called techies tools and it has a seagate hard drive tester, it came back as the hard drive has phisical defects, so it will have to be a new hard drive for christmas. Thanks for your help though. Daimian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom