USB Ports screwed - prior to this computer had "disco-fever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenneal

Beta member
Rather new to computer forums and stats but roughly here are my stats do let me know if i need to include anything else.

Mainboard: MSI 865-P Neo
Ram: 4x 512MB KINGSTON DDR 400MHZ
Processor: P4 3.0ghz HT
Harddisk: 160gb WD
PSU: 400WATTS
Cdrom: Samsung DVD/CDRW

Additional PCI peripherals: USB high speed slot, Creative Audigy2
Additional USB peripherals: Wintv PVR USB 2, Thumbdrive

Was having a game of dota, wc3, suddenly my computer froze and then when I looked at my box, all the lights were flashing like crazy.. The ethernet port, hard disk light, the fan light, the usb port light - basically everything that has light on my computer started flashing like crazy. I immediatelly tried to hold the power button for a few seconds(as i would normally do that to recover from a lock up) but it wouldnt turn off and I turned off the main power supply.

After that I turned it on and the same thing happened, and then a few times of this rubbish prompted me to wait a longer period - say 5 mins? And then it was back to normal.

After that all my usb ports wasnt working, i plugged in my stuff but it doesnt detect at all, yet I checked BIOS settings, toggled USB controller on and off but yet to no available.

Also 1 week before this occasionally I had problems booting up - i turn on the pc and nothing appears on the monitor. But the cdrom light flashes repeatedly, and after a few on and offs later on it finally manages to bootup and then says "DRAM timing set too tightly" and press any key to continue then Im on my way to windows again.

Anybody know what actually happened?

Edit: on a side note, I went to windows' device manager, and USB ports there are all stated as working properly. Just that when I plug devices in nothing happen at all.

:mad:

I say it's your power supply, since your fan lights were flashing at that time too. Try a different power supply if you can. I'm not 100% sure though.

kenneal said:
all the lights were flashing like crazy.. The ethernet port, hard disk light, the fan light, the usb port light - basically everything that has light on my computer started flashing like crazy.

lol Thats too cool, I wish that would have happened to my old computer. Your USB is probably toast, if you need usb you can buy a usb add on card. They're not expensive, heres a link.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Subcategory.asp?Subcategory=73

http://www.pricewatch.com/prc.aspx?i=44&a=3759

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom