USB or motherboard ??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Talking USB or motherboard ???

Hello people,

I am a new user to this site and maybe someone can solve this nitemare that I have been having for 2 weeks...I have a gateway gt 5228 2gb amd 2.2 4200 and one night i connected my ipod and non of my usbs work mouse suddenly disconnected itself and now the front of my pc is a graveyard..the media reader/usb/firewire doesnt work and the rear usb as well...I bought a pci usb and guess what it works like a charm ..before i go nutss can anyone help me..I even bought the restore disk from gateway thinking it was the drivers and no luck there....its nice to have a media reader and the is question #1 Is there a way to test the motherboard if its working....i can plug something in and it will charge my cell and ipod but will not read..I also run xp sorry ...

I really thank anyones expertise...

Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to advancedgeek Send a message via MSN to advancedgeek Send a message via Yahoo to advancedgeek
Default Re: USB or motherboard ???

uh... so does your mouse and ipod work when you plug into the hub? very unlikely a voltage spike damaged your usb devices but try plugging in other usb devices to see if they work or not. take a usb flash drive for an example

Graphics card: Inno3D Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS @ 640/940 (core/memory)
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 v3.3 F12
RAM: 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 800MHz (4GB total)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6320 @variable rates (will fix my fan problem soon and overclock high again)
HSF: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme & Antec Tricool 120mm fan
PSU: Delta Serverpower 550W
HD: Seagate 400GB ST340032AS & Excelstor 80GB (both SATA)
Case: don't know what case it is but it is very crappy
Optical Drive: Lite-on 16X DVD+&- RW DL (died) using a CD-ROM drive until I get a new blu ray burner or whatever i can get

**been afk from tech-forums for a while so this is the updates specs**
Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: USB or motherboard ???

Thanks for responding..when I plug my ipod or cell phone it does charge it but my computer running xp doesnt even recognize it...i checked the bios setting and made sure it was enabled..the i/o port infront of my pc has 2 fire wire ports ...doesnt work...2 usb ports doesnt work...the media reader has 8 ports and 1 usb and doesnt work either...

But using a pci usb card worked like a charm ..i really doubt the media reader and i/o went dead but i have to believe in everything...

I would appreciate any assistance !!
Closed Thread