USB hub works as a splitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj1182

Baseband Member
I got the assumption that a USB hub would work as a splitter of some sort. I purchased a hub and hooked up my external HDD to my PC and the other end to my X360. I figured I could add files and watch them on the 360 without taking the cord out and keep going back and forth.

So am I wrong? or this ain't possible?

Thanks.

Well to my knowledge, all you can do is hook up other USB devices to the hub to connect to a single USB hub port. More of a many-to-one interface than a splitter.

To my knowledge you cant just hook up a External Drive to teh XBOX 360 and have it act as a regualr hard drive. Which would be where this is going wrong.

No, that's not what I'm trying to do. I just wanna use it as a media device, so I can watch, listen, and view pics without switching the cord in & out.

A USB hub isn't going to give you splitting capability. The function of a USB hub is to allow several USB devices to link to a single USB port, for example, a computer USB port. I don't think it's going to do what you want it to do.

Yeah I know that now. I found something called a USB shared switch. I'm gonna give that a try.

No, that's not what I'm trying to do. I just wanna use it as a media device, so I can watch, listen, and view pics without switching the cord in & out.

How is that not what your trying to do? You hooked up a External Drive to a USB Hub and then plugged it into your PC and your XBOX 360 right? That says that you would be trying to use your External Drive on the XBOX 360 in the same fashion as you would on a PC which isnt possible.

Trying to use it as a Media drive would be the same thing as using it as a regular drive. As you would store media on it and want to use it on the device of your choice. Be it PC or XBOX 360. Either way it would require that the XBOX 360 see the External Drive as a hard drive in the first place to be able to use it as a media device.

Your confusing me..lol I'm not trying to use the external drive to save game saves, DLc or anything like that to the 360. I know that's not possible, I'm not trying to substitute the 360's HDD. I already use the 360 as a media player with the drive, but adding files and going back and forth gets annoying.

The Xbox does read it as a drive formatted in FAT32 only. But you can't add or transfer things to the Xbox's drive. That's not my intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom