USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidrainlite

Beta member
I have a USB flash drive that I really need to get files off of. However, when I plug it into any computer (I have tried 3 thus far--2 Windows 7 PC's and 1 Windows XP PC) it says device not recognized. It shows up in the device manager as Unknown Device.

I am not sure why it isn't recognizing it, but I just figured I would try to point it to a usb driver and see if it would work. So from the device manager, I clicked update driver and pointed it to usbstor.inf. It said the file did not contain information about my device. I tried plugging in a different USB drive and it worked fine.

Any ideas on what to try to enable me to access the files? I am wondering whether the drive got damaged since the metal USB plug is slightly bent. However, I would really like to get the files off the drive.

Thanks for you help.

if you open up disk manager does it show up in there as having data on it, or just a blank drive? (run -> diskmgmt.msc)

the OP says 3 different computers have been used, so yes. Try putting the usb drive in the computer and restarting the computer. if that doesn't do anything and it still doesn't show up in disk management then I'd say your drive is toast.

The only thing i can think of that would be happening if nothing works is that it recognizes that there's a device connected, but as you mentioned the connection between the flash drive and the usb connection might be broken, which is why when you point to it with a driver nothing is recognized.

Have you tried any of the options in the device manager when you bring up properties?

I tried rebooting. Still nothing :(. I also opened it up to check to see if any of the connections were loose. It looked okay. Maybe I will try desoldering and resoldering the pins that connect the usb plug to the circuit board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom