USB Flash Drive formated wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatexmonk

Beta member
Hi and thanks for looking at my problem!

I have a generic 8Gb flash drive that I was trying to make bootable using the HP utility cp006049.exe (which can be found at HP.com) and some other utilities.

During my attempts the drive has now become formatted to 4Gb with an unused 4Gb dead zone.

I have tried the Microsoft USB recovery utility, Disk Manager in windows XP, FDisk in Win98 and formating the drive through both operating system's explorer window and I have yet to be able to reclaim the missing 4Gb. Partition Magic 8 did not seem to recognize flash drives. The drive works I am just using it at half capacity.

Help!
Russ

Find a program called partition magic and use that to recover the lost space.

Is this to run DSL on?

I did try Norton Partition Magic 8 (SEE ABOVE). I run it and it only detects my hard drive. No USB flash drives detected. If I need to go to a specific area or am not using it correctly please provide some steps.

Thanks in advance.

I was able to solve this problem.

1st I tried booting into partition magic and it did see the flash drive with error but it was not able to fix it.

2nd I downloaded something called "Windows Enabler" which allowed me, through Disk Management in Win XP, to delete the 4gig formated part of the drive. The delete option was greyed out or in other owrds windows was not letting me delete it. It then allowed me to format the whole 6gig drive.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom