USB Exteral problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
I've started having issues with my External drive, it's a PHR-100su with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB.

What's happening, is my computer stops seeing it, and the Normally bleu light turns red. If i power cycle it, It gets found and seems all good. But after a short time it happens again. The drive is warm, but not hot, and is just over a year old.

So is it my drive gone, or is it the enclosure? Sadly, there is no info on the enclosure and its lights so I don't know what it means.

it may be the ... hmmm. any loss of data? might check connectors on it, but aside from those two... if it keeps up it may be that it's going out, at any rate I'd recommend transering files to a safe place and using it for fast, large transfers for the moment

If you have a free 3 1/2" drive bay and an available sata port you could install the drive inside to see if it functions normally there. If found good that will then point to the exernal casing or a usb detection problem being seen.

Yha, No data loss as far as I know, but it's not Anything too important... mainly music so its hard to know. Checked the connectors too, but not loose. Oddly just touching the power button can bring the blue light back.

Swapping into the Tower, is my next step, just don't have much free time right now.

Thanks guys

Sounds more like a loose contact then anything else. Often contacts in switches or power buttons will get stretched a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom