USB / eSATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I recently picked up an Iomega external hard drive, 1TB; it has a USB connection.

Plug-n-play functionality right out of the box, no problem.

Now.....I also have an HD DVR from DirecTV. On the back of the receiver, there is a port for an eSATA connection; it's for when you want to add an external drive to "take the place of" the internal one inside of the DVR (more storage space).

Since most external drives that I see have USB connections, I picked up some connectors and cables so I could connect it to my DVR (the Iomega drive) besides using it for my computer.

Let me explain.

The external drive came with a USB cable; the USB cable ends with the "male" part. I purchased a "female-to-female" USB coupler.

I took the end of the USB cable (male) coming from the external drive and put it into one end of the female coupler piece.

Then I also purchased a USB to eSATA adapter. I plugged the USB end of it into the other end of the female coupler piece.

Then, this USB to eSATA adapter has a female eSATA plug. I then took an eSATA cable and plugged it into this end, and then the other end I put into the back of my DVR.

I followed the instructions from DirecTV on how to properly hook in an external hard drive, and the DVR is supposed to automatically "recognize" the external hard drive upon starting up.

It doesn't.

So, just to check, I tried this:

My CoolerMaster case has four USB ports on the front, and also one eSATA port. So, leaving that "coupled" connection together I described above (female coupler, USB to eSATA adapter, eSATA cable), I plugged it into the eSATA port on the front of my computer case: Nothing; no recognition.

But, if I just plug the USB cable right from the hard drive into a USB port, there's recognition, no problem.

Could I possibly have a "bad" adapter, cable, etc.?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Is this type of connection I'm trying not really possible or feasible?

Any help, tips, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom