USB drivers won't update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashpass

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I've had this ongoing problem with my USB ports and hope that someone here can shed some light on to what might be the issue. Here are all the steps I've already taken:

1. Some USB devices were acting strange, so I uninstalled the USB drivers in Device Manager, hoping a reinstall of the USB drivers would fix it.

2. I rebooted, the USB controllers were recognized as new hardware, but Windows was unable to find a suitable driver automatically.

3. I tried manually choosing the directories it could be in, none of which worked and I was unable to find an *.inf file as well. I have a second hardrive hooked in that I can boot up to and the USB works fine, so I selected the directories in that second drive to find the drivers, still no luck.

4. Then I rebooted in safe mode, deleted the usb items from device manager, then restarted again in safe mode and tried reinstalling, couldn't find the drivers.

5. I got the Windows CD (legit copy) and tried to upgrade the drivers from there...it couldn't find anything.

6. I tried a windows update, nothing was found. The version of windows I have came bundled with SP2 (the drivers for USB2.0 started in SP1), my version is: "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with SP2".

7. I finally found some suitable drivers for the VIA chipset, and forced the drivers on to the usb controllers...now there is one port that says "VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Controller", and 4 of the same thing with a yellow exclamation next to it. Looking at the properties of that device it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

8. Thinking my USB chipset was bad, I bought a PCI USB 2.0 board with an NEC chipset on it. The usb controller was recognized, and again no suitable driver was found, and it should have the drivers because windows should have them built in to SP2. Then I found drivers for the NEC chipset, forced the drivers on the devices, and the exact same thing as number 7 above happened, with one device having a working driver and the rest with that error code.

USBissues.jpg

So, it seems like Windows is having trouble with any chipset and any drivers, and I desperately do not want to perform a reinstall of Windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to figure this out for months.

-Daniel

NOTE:
Motherboard: K8T Neo Series MS-6702
Chipset: VIA K8T800 Chipset

Try reinstalling ALL usb drivers again in accordance:

A.Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Also you can try checking to see if there is a incorrect setting in the BIOS, maybe check out the disableling of the DOS USB function.

If all else fails try installing a fresh copy of Windows all together not just reinstalling Windows. If you just reinstall Windows you still leaving gaps that arent filled, and problems that may still lie.

Hey thanks rumble for the response. Unfortunately I've tried reinstalling the drivers multiple times. The problem is that when I let windows search for the most suitable driver, it doesn't find anything.

Also, I've tried disabling/re-enabling USB settings in the BIOS, still no luck. And again, I would like to resolve the issue and not reinstall Windows.

Any more suggestions?

do u have the driver cd for your mobo that should have all ur usb drivers on it if not check the website for your mobo theymay allow u to redownload ur drivers good luck

Well the website for MSI doesn't provide a driver for WinXP and niether does the CD, both state that I need to get the drivers from SP1 or above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom