I've had this ongoing problem with my USB ports and hope that someone here can shed some light on to what might be the issue. Here are all the steps I've already taken:
1. Some USB devices were acting strange, so I uninstalled the USB drivers in Device Manager, hoping a reinstall of the USB drivers would fix it.
2. I rebooted, the USB controllers were recognized as new hardware, but Windows was unable to find a suitable driver automatically.
3. I tried manually choosing the directories it could be in, none of which worked and I was unable to find an *.inf file as well. I have a second hardrive hooked in that I can boot up to and the USB works fine, so I selected the directories in that second drive to find the drivers, still no luck.
4. Then I rebooted in safe mode, deleted the usb items from device manager, then restarted again in safe mode and tried reinstalling, couldn't find the drivers.
5. I got the Windows CD (legit copy) and tried to upgrade the drivers from there...it couldn't find anything.
6. I tried a windows update, nothing was found. The version of windows I have came bundled with SP2 (the drivers for USB2.0 started in SP1), my version is: "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with SP2".
7. I finally found some suitable drivers for the VIA chipset, and forced the drivers on to the usb controllers...now there is one port that says "VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Controller", and 4 of the same thing with a yellow exclamation next to it. Looking at the properties of that device it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
8. Thinking my USB chipset was bad, I bought a PCI USB 2.0 board with an NEC chipset on it. The usb controller was recognized, and again no suitable driver was found, and it should have the drivers because windows should have them built in to SP2. Then I found drivers for the NEC chipset, forced the drivers on the devices, and the exact same thing as number 7 above happened, with one device having a working driver and the rest with that error code.
So, it seems like Windows is having trouble with any chipset and any drivers, and I desperately do not want to perform a reinstall of Windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to figure this out for months.
Motherboard: K8T Neo Series MS-6702
Chipset: VIA K8T800 Chipset