USB drive not working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Repeat Offender
Default USB drive not working

The search function doesn't seem to working for me on here and Google hasn't given me much help either.

Here's the scoop, a user here has a 1 GB USB stick that he uses to copy data frrom one PC to another when he goes from office to office. Works fine on his home PC, fine on a couple PC's here, but not at all on his office PC. Plug it in, the little sound plays, but no box pops up asking what to do. Go to My Computer, sometimes it is there, sometimes not. When it IS there, it says please insert a disk into drive E. Well, the thing IS drive E. Also, it says when you right click and select properties that it has 4 MB total space and has no free space. What's up with that? I have uninstalledand reinstalled the USB controller with zero success. Is the USB stick dead?

Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: USB drive not working

the stick might be dead but i doubt it, more than likely it is just faulty I have seen loads of sticks end up doing what you have posted that are down to loose internal components.

Ask him if he has dropped it or mistreated it in some way.

Visit this and do something for the world!

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10
Default Re: USB drive not working

It could be a back stick or your USB port is dead. Similar problem happened to me when I just built my computer. I was installing my motherboard's drivers and I guess I ticked something that had to do with the USB ports. Once my installation for the drivers was finished, I plugged in my 1GB USB stick and the stick kept flickering on and off in the 'My Computer' page.
|phucng_10's WM|
Closed Thread