USB drive not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
The search function doesn't seem to working for me on here and Google hasn't given me much help either.

Here's the scoop, a user here has a 1 GB USB stick that he uses to copy data frrom one PC to another when he goes from office to office. Works fine on his home PC, fine on a couple PC's here, but not at all on his office PC. Plug it in, the little sound plays, but no box pops up asking what to do. Go to My Computer, sometimes it is there, sometimes not. When it IS there, it says please insert a disk into drive E. Well, the thing IS drive E. Also, it says when you right click and select properties that it has 4 MB total space and has no free space. What's up with that? I have uninstalledand reinstalled the USB controller with zero success. Is the USB stick dead?

the stick might be dead but i doubt it, more than likely it is just faulty I have seen loads of sticks end up doing what you have posted that are down to loose internal components.

Ask him if he has dropped it or mistreated it in some way.

It could be a back stick or your USB port is dead. Similar problem happened to me when I just built my computer. I was installing my motherboard's drivers and I guess I ticked something that had to do with the USB ports. Once my installation for the drivers was finished, I plugged in my 1GB USB stick and the stick kept flickering on and off in the 'My Computer' page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom